Monday, June 18, 2012

Do It Yourself Summer Entertaining Fun with Ice & Fruit!

What we are going to do is create an ICE BLOCK for decorating your pitcher for your guests INFUSED with FRUITS of your choice.  Today's example will be Blueberry & Watermelon since we are getting close to the 4th of July and I was feeling the good 'ol RED, WHITE & BLUE Spirt of things.

1. Small Paper Milk Cartons are always a great way to make your
Decorative ICE BLOCK for your pitcher.

2. Once you have used your contents of a milk carton, rinse well to prepare for your water and fruit.

3. Today's example again is Blueberries.  First place your Blueberries in the carton, fill with water, seal the cap & lay the container in your freezer on it's side so the fruit settles the full length of the ice block.

4. Plan ahead because you will need to freeze your carton overnight, so this does take some prep time.

5. If you choose to have another fruit have it cut and ready once you are prepared to put your ICE BLOCK in your pitcher. 

 I have shown here the amout of Blueberries
I used for this example.

 Choose a large or small pitcher for your table that will show off your ICE Fruit block.  I chose more of a vase for this example because I love the color for the RED, WHITE & BLUE theme, plus it was large enough for my guests to all have
a nice mason jar full!

MAKE SURE TO ENSURE YOUR BLOCK WITH FIT INSIDE THE PITCHER'S OPENING.

I share this with you since I learned the hard way
on my first go around. :)

Once you have a good frozen block you will want to sit it in luke warm water (not hot) for about 10 seconds to shock the ice away from the carton's walls.  This will allow you to peel the carton off with ease and not leave resedue
on your ready to serve ICE BLOCK.

O.k. you are ready to begin to peel your carton off your block.

MAKE SURE TO HAVE ABOUT HALF OF YOUR PITCHER ALREADY FILLED WITH ICE WATER SO YOUR BLOCK DOES NOT START TO UNFREEZE IF YOU WERE TO HAVE TO FILL THE PITCHER AFTER THE FACT.  YOU WANT TO PLACE IT IN SOMETHING ALREADY VERY COLD TO PRESERVE THE ICE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.


Simply peel away the carton and TA'DA!


You can always add much more fruit if you like!

I chose to cut and add Fresh Watermelon to the
water for a nice RED color.
I did not put it in the ICE since I wanted the immediate infusion
of taste from the Watermelon.

Add your block to your ICE water, along with any additional fruit & you are ready for your table setting.

If you decide to try something similar at home
please share it back with me. 
I would love to see different ideas!!!! 
Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, how pretty !
    Love the idea and the red/white/blue.
    Too pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your messages! I read every one & enjoy hearing from each of you. Cheers!